Thursday, March 14, 2013

My "green" smoothie...



For the past couple of weeks, I have been making this "green" smoothie almost every morning. It definitely doesn't taste "green" and is my way to sneak in some good-for-me ingredients that I wouldn't get in my every day diet, like spinach, coconut oil, and chia seeds. 

I am a huge fan of coconut oil because it is anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial, but not a huge fan of the taste. When mixing it into a smoothie, I can't taste it at all! 

 And, in case you aren't familiar with chia seeds, I include them for more fiber, protein, and omega 3's. 1 tablespoon has 6 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein, and 2.9 grams of omega 3's. 

Below are all of the ingredients I use.....


{ingredients}

Coconut milk- about 1 cup
Organic frozen berries- about 1 cup
Banana- 1
Coconut oil- about 1 teaspoon
Chia seeds- about 1 tablespoon
Organic local honey- few drops
Cinnamon- about 1 teaspoon
Spinach- about 2 cups

These are approximate proportions. Sometimes I will use kale instead of Spinach, but I find the spinach blends better. I don't like a chunky smoothie.




Look at all that green! Also, in case you are curious I use a Kitchen Aid blender. I like Kitchen Aid products, but you could use any blender as long as it can puree or liquefy, unless you like a chunky smoothie.

See, not green at all.

{paleo/non-dairy}


And, you could easily use almond milk, soy milk, or regular milk, but as I've said before, dairy and I don't get along, and coconut milk is my go to non-dairy option. 





No comments:

Post a Comment